If you run an online business, the chances are good that at some point you will need to look into a website hosting solution that is reliable. Though there are many cheap website offerings around, including shared hosting and cloud hosting, they are not always the best option for a growing business. Indeed, if you find that your business is growing at a rate that is outstripping the capacities of your current hosting solution, then you might want to look into the option of dedicated hosting.
Other Types of Hosting
VPS (Virtual Private Hosting) is another form of website hosting that is very popular with individuals and smaller businesses. Having a website hosted in a virtualised operating system on a shared server machine is both efficient and cost effective. VPS hosting has improved in recent years as technology has also improved.
In many cases it offers a reasonable enough level of uptime, security and speed to cope with many smaller scale businesses, but it will not be able to cope with the huge demands of large scale business websites and corporations where speed and security are of paramount importance.
What Is Dedicated Hosting?
Hosting your website on a dedicated server gives you a number of important advantages. In this scenario, your website is hosted on a single dedicated machine, providing the following benefits.
The single most important benefit is speed. By having your business website hosted on a single server machine, you gain all the benefits of that machine’s processing power and RAM. This makes it an ideal solution for large businesses where the website needs to handle a lot of traffic. For corporations and businesses that require an efficient backend service, such as processor intensive server side applications or highly secure e-commerce, being able to use the resources of a single dedicated machine is essential.
Dedicated hosting is expensive and geared towards large businesses and big corporations with a solid online presence. By paying for such a service, the business can rely on 24/7 technical support. In a case where a business website experiences a surge in traffic or goes offline due to a glitch, an experienced technical team will be able to monitor the situation and provide fast and efficient assistance. Contrast this with the one or two-day turnaround of most shared hosting solutions, and it becomes clear just how efficient dedicated hosting is. In fact, many dedicated hosting providers even offer a technical team that is akin to an extension of your business.
As one would expect, a dedicated hosting solution offers some of the best enterprise-class machines in the business. Fast machines featuring the latest processing cores and RAID storage arrays make for an efficient and cutting edge solution. The servers used by hosting companies in this area are some of the most reliable in the industry, making them ideal for companies and corporations that rely on the maximum uptime of their websites as part of their business and their brand reputation.
Security Is the Key to Dedicated Hosting That a Business Can Rely Upon
When it comes to secure web hosting solutions in an age of cybercrime, dedicated hosting does not skimp. Many high-level and reputable hosting companies in this area not only provide the most cutting edge hardware for top technical performance, but they also ensure that the physical hardware is protected around the clock in secure data centres built for this purpose.
For large companies and corporations that store customer credit card details, personal details or other private information, the physical security of the server machines is just as important as the virtual security of the website. By making sure that the dedicated hosting solution you are looking at adheres strictly to the ISO 27001 certification and standards, you can be sure that it is serious about its hosting offerings.
Having your server machine located in a secure data centre offers the following benefits:
- Physical security of the hardware to protect against theft on a 24/7 basis
- Power supplies that do not power off during a blackout so the servers stay online even during electrical interruptions
- Backup generators that provide a second level of power generation
- Fire suppression devices in place
- Bio-security in many instances to ensure that only authorised personnel gain access to the data centre
- ISO 27001 certification, which is an international security standard covering information security
- Most companies in this space also offer a dedicated Firewall solution from one of the big and well-known vendors, like Cisco
What to Look for in a Dedicated Hosting Provider
Though there are a multitude of dedicated hosting providers on the market, it is important to decide on the right one for your needs. The best and most reliable companies in this space offer a full range of services and understand the specific needs of businesses of any scale. Consider the following criteria when looking for a dedicated hosting company:
- Certification: A reliable company in this space will always adhere to the internationally recognised ISO 27001 certification for information security management practices.
- Communication: Ensure that the hosting company is able to confidently answer any questions you might have, no matter how obscure. If they are going to host your business website, they need to know their stuff and be passionate about their services. Given that your website needs to be secured and monitored 24/7, the company should also be contactable 24/7.
- Experience: The best companies in this area have a lot of experience.
- SLAs and uptime guarantees: Given that the uptime and security of any business website are of paramount importance, a reputable and reliable dedicated hosting provider should be able to specify its Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and also the uptime of hosted sites.
Whilst dedicated website hosting is expensive and geared towards larger companies and businesses, it also offers the best in security, support and reliability. The best providers understand the varied needs of many different types of companies and businesses and can even offer a tailored solution to suit.