Web services have been moving to large number of small apps and since this is the trend, more developers are being assigned the job of web services testing. The business environment being unpredictable the quality testing work at times makes the QA job less relevant. It might as well require the more intellectual challenges to be faced by the testing professionals. For the quality work to be maintained the tester must be clear about what the object is supposed to do. The testing web service must be able to ensure the quality. As the customers are turning more sophisticated and technology aware, maintain the quality of software products has become an increasingly critical factor. And the success of the business definitely depends upon releasing the right product at a time that best suits the business environment.
The functional testing for the life cycle of the product is not an easy task and has to be faced by a number of challenges. Well, there are few things you can do to ensure quality of the testing job in these changing business settings.
- See that each part of the code executes correctly. The developer is made responsible for making sure that the details are logically right. This can be done in the form of Function coverage, Statement coverage and Path coverage. This unit testing method confirms that the code does the function that it is required to do.
- The correct implementation of functional requirements is another hitch faced at the testing level. The functional test can be applied after the unit tests. Define the functional testing objectives that are relevant to the project and then prioritize critical and most used functions. Rest of the functions can be tested as the time and resources allow.
- Focus on the critical units that are important for integration. Do not combine many components together in one move. The Tester should also determine if the subsystems must be or should it be tested before combining it with the other sub system. Also an incremental integration approach must be followed after the tests have been done in isolation.
- See that the new changes have not affected the sub systems negatively through regression testing. At this stage again make sure that the current functionality responds according to the objectives set.
- Finally the most important step is to check whether the customer is satisfied? Test well on how the user interacts with the softwares and that he gets the intended action on command and this is what finalizes the success or failure and quality of your web services testing assignment.